Monday, May 9, 2011

One night in Mykonos: "Hello. My name is KOSTAS."

We arrived in Mykonos on friday and it was by far the most beautiful day of our trip.  It was sunny the entire day (but still chilly enough for me to have to wear my boots.  I didn't get to break out my sandals once this trip).  The water in Mykonos was a gorgeous shade of blue and all of the buildings were white-washed like in Santorini.


We were greeted by our hotel guy, George (everyone in Greece is named George), at the port where he drove us to our hotel:  Orpheus Rooms.  Our room had 3 beds which was odd, but it was still nicely decorated.  Our building's theme was "red".  Each building of the hotel had a different color theme.


We immediately headed out into town for lunch.  I wasn't crazy about the lamb and vegetables that I had, but I got to eat at a red-checkered table cloth!  I was on a serious hunt for one in Rome but could NOT find one!  So why is it that I was able to find one in Greece but not Italy?  Beats me.  We then walked around the town a little bit.  There's not very much to see in Mykonos, only a bunch of shops, so I'm glad we were given the extra night in Santorini.  Mykonos was beautiful though..so clean!  It was so full of color, too.  It seemed like each house, like our hotel, had a different color theme to it.  I feel like everyone was told to do that, though, to attract tourists.  Well, they did a good job.  The only thing I didn't like about Mykonos was how windy it was!  It's known as "the windy island" and it definitely lives up to its name.  The wind was out of control!  Also in our exploration of the island, we came across Restaurant Kostas.  Needless to say, we just discovered where we would eat dinner that night.


So windy!


That night for dinner, Melissa and I hit up Restaurant Kostas :)  This was our 3rd sign leading to Kostas.  He just HAD to be there!  Our waiter was very nice and enjoyed talking to us.  By the end of the meal, it just so happened that I was able to fit "so who is this restaurant named after?" smoothly into the conversation.  He started describing Kostas so I asked if he was there.  Our waiter said "no he's not.  Kostas is very very old."  We were SO disappointed!  Our trip was coming to an end and we still didn't meet Kostas :(


After dinner, it was time to hit the town!  I never knew this, but apparently Mykonos is "the party island."  Everyone I talked to gave me a look and said "ooooo the party island!" whenever I said I was going to Mykonos.  It definitely lived up to its name.  It seemed like everyone was drunk...even in the daytime!  Going back to the hotel earlier that day, we walked by a group of guys who stopped their friend in his car as he was driving by.  When he stopped, they handed him a shot for the road!  He took the shot and drove off.  WTF?!  So we were excited to go out that night to see what all the hype was about.  It was a blast, and all the bars were in walking distance of each other.

I heard that the Skandinavian Bar is a must-go bar, but it was closed!!  We found this out from 2 guys who were walking in the opposite direction as us that we passed.  They said "where are you going?"  We replied with "where are you going?"  They said they were going to the bar we just came from.  We told them we were going to the Skandinavian Bar.  They crushed our hopes by telling us it was closed.  So we tagged along with them to go back to the other bar.  They asked us our names.  "Sam."  "Melissa."  We asked them theirs.  The first guy said "Christos" (that also seems to be a very popular name among the Greeks).  Then the other guy said "my name is Kostas."  We played it cool.  I replied, "Kostas?"  He said "yes."  We still played it cool even though we were having a huge victory dance playing in our heads.  WE FOUND KOSTAS!!!!!  Our last real night in Greece and we found him.  SUCCESS!!!  And we got a picture with him too!  His friend just so happened to be the one we asked to take a picture of Melissa and I, then I did one of the casual "get in with us!" to Kostas and he did!

Me, KOSTAS, and Melissa


Unfortunately, we didn't spend much more time with Kostas.  But that's ok, we were just thrilled to have found him.  The rest of our night was fun.  Melissa pointed out that there were a ton of guys in comparison to girls there.  Which was true.  We felt like "fish in a shark tank."  Greek men are also very aggressive, but I've never experienced anything as bad as Italian men.  They win the prize for that one.  I was mean and kept Melissa out until 5am (I'm just too used to Spanish life), so it was definitely a struggle waking up the next morning for check-out.

Do you see any other girls besides Melissa?  Nope.


The next morning, we went in search of breakfast, but it was very difficult!  We finally found a place by the water where I had toast with ham and cheese (yum), orange juice, and my first Greek coffee!  I figured I needed to try it before I left.  I heard it was very strong, but it wasn't bad!  I really liked it.  And I definitely needed it after the night before.

Greek coffee


On our way back to the hotel, we fit in some last minute pictures, then boarded the van for George to take us down to the port.  We then took a killer 7-hour ferry ride (and of course it was the one we weren't in business class for! haha).  We had to sit at a table and it was very uncomfortable.  We made it back to Athens in the evening and had a nice, last dinner.  I got my favorite dish, Briam, of course :)  We stayed at the Acropolis House again (we were sure that the owners there were thrilled to have us back!...not!).  As we were walking down the main street of restaurants, the sandwich guy who called me his "Philly friend" spotted me through a crowd right away and said "my friend!!"  I was like oh god.  Melissa puts it as he was "devouring me with his eyes...like most Greek men." haha.  Awkward.

In front of the Mykonos windmills!

Uncomfortable ferry ride back to Athens

That night I was only able to sleep for an hour until it was time to take my 2am cab to the airport.  My flight from Athens to Prague left at 4:30am.  Then I had a 4 hour layover in Prague, then another 6 hour layover in Barcelona!  It was a really bad day.  And typical ryanair women decided to be bitches as usual and stop me for my carry-on.  I was just about to sneak on too!  In the end, she let me go, but she told me that I should have checked my bag.  Whatever, ryanair.  You suck.  I arrived in Sevilla later that night.

Overall, Greece was incredible.  The food, the people, the scenery.  Everything.  It was just amazing.  And we found our Kostas!  I will definitely be returning to Greece, no doubt about it.  Next time, I will go in the summer like all of the locals told me to do so that I can have the real Greece experience and enjoy the beaches :)

No comments:

Post a Comment